Here is some of the work that I created during an internship with Clocky I worked on three projects: updating the current Clocky design, creating a brand new design, and also working on the design of a nightstand product. Although not all of the details are present on this page because of NDA's, the forms I created are.
I took primarily took inspiration from many home smart devices including the Amazon Echo, Google Home, and UE Boom . I also looked at different types of movement and expression that the new Clocky could adopt. Here is my first brainstorming submittal. The insights I gathered from this initial brainstorm would inform the designs of both the brand new Clocky, as well as the updated one.
The Brand New Clocky Design
Although it went through may different iterations and materials, this was the final design that we settled on, as its manufacturability and its clear inspiration from the present Clocky design made it the most preferable for the brand.
The Updated Clocky Design
This project created as a back-up design to the first, in case the features of the new design were too expensive to manufacture. However, that doesn't mean that it was an easy one. The goal was to bring the current Clocky design into 2020. To do that, I chose to make only a few small adjustments. I made the form more symmetrical and spherical, made the tires more sleek, and chose flatter, pastel paints.
Furniture design is new territory for me, but this was the perfect project to get introduced because the company already had a very good idea of what they wanted. I had a great time with this project, especially because the project demanded not just design considerations, but also many mechanical considerations as well. Included in this design were push-to-open drawers, internal outlets, and some other, first of their kind technologies integrated that will truly make a one of a kind nightstand. The nightstand is set to go into production soon.
This project taught me a lot about the importance of branding and maintaining it through multiple products. A lot of my prototype designs had materials and forms that I loved, but at the end of the day they didn't continue the lineage of Clocky, so they had to be edited. This was a new idea for me, but one that was welcomed.